Wednesday, June 11, 2014

This Ain't No Peace Corps.

After two missed connections, lost bags, and awkward plane sleeping, I've arrived safely in Kisumu. I've been traveling with my classmate and friend, Ashley, so it was nice to have a travel buddy. We were welcomed by Elise, an undergraduate student at UA, and our professor and her family. The compound we are staying in is the bomb diggity. The first picture is of our apartment - with wireless internet! The second snap is the pool in our compound and the last picture is Simba, the compound dog. Living large!

I'm still adjusting from sleep deprivation and the time difference, so not much of an update now. Today, we are heading to the study site in the mountains, otherwise known as the highlands. More to come!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel! Emily told me you were returning to Africa and working in Kenya. I am anxious to follow your travels and work, but please be safe. We traveled to Nakuru, Maasai Mara, and Lamu when we visited our daughter, Stephanie, in Nairobi in 2007, and we fell in love with the country and the people. Lamu was particularly beautiful, and it breaks my heart to hear of the violence there now. Having been there for just a short time and hearing Stephanie's stories, I understand your attachment to Africa, but I also worry for you. May you have a guardian angel watching over you until you return. In the meantime, I will be anxious to see your pictures and read about your experiences - you are an amazing young woman! Mrs. P

    ReplyDelete